If healthy baking is important to you, baking with coconut oil is a great option for you and your family. One of the easiest recipes to keep in your recipe arsenal is banana bread. With real bananas, it is nutritious and delicious – and your kids will love it.
Baking banana bread with coconut oil
The secret to keeping banana bread moist is the fat/butter content – not the sugar. While the usual recipes would require butter that has very high fat content, we suggest that you replace butter with virgin coconut oil. Both have the same fat content, but coconut oil has the good kind of fatty acids that help metabolize fats in the body faster, giving your more energy.
Regardless of the coconut oil health benefits, using coconut oil as your fat source in baking will add more than enough moisture to your banana bread that you will actually use less fat and sugar! This would be a great gift for health-conscious friends and a snack idea to serve kids in school or at your home. All you need to do is replace butter with coconut oil – 1:1 ratio!
Try this banana bread recipe
Here is a simple recipe you might want to try. This recipe yields 12 servings.
- 3-4 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup Skinny Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the coconut oil on medium speed until soft (about 3 minutes).
- Add the egg and bananas and mix until combined.
- Toss in the dry ingredients and then mix on medium speed until combined (about 3 minutes).
- Pour mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes. Every oven is different, so start checking your bread at about 45 minutes. You want the bread to be golden brown when it’s finished baking. You’ll know your bread has finished baking when a knife comes out clean after you slide it into the middle of the loaf.