Ready in 45 minutes, these caramelized sweet potatoes and red onions are the bed for chicken thighs that cook up fast in a very hot oven. This meal is perfect for a quick healthy chicken dinner and can be served with a mixed green salad with a light, vinaigrette dressing.
Roast chicken and sweet potatoes
Recipe adapted from Eating Well. Serves four.
2 tablespoons whole-grain or Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
2 tablespoons Skinny Coconut Oil
½ teaspoon salt (we recommend Celtic Sea Salt)
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1½-2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- Position oven rack in the lower third of the oven, and then preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Combine mustard, thyme, one tablespoon coconut oil, and ¼ teaspoon of each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mixture evenly on the chicken.
- Toss sweet potatoes and red onions in a bowl with the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and spread the vegetables on it. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Return the pan to the oven and roast the chicken and vegetables, occasionally stirring the vegetables until they are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into a chicken thigh registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 30 to 35 minutes).